Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Weekend-June 15-17, 2012 Moving Flynn & Anna

This was really a working weekend but if we're going all the way to Pendleton, OR we're going to get in a bit of birding. Friday night, after work, Rudy and I headed over to Pendleton because our son, Flynn, was moving back to the "wet side" of the mountains. We took a bit of a jog from the Interstates at Ellensburg by going on the Yakima Canyon Road. This is a wonderful alternative to the freeway that goes up and down over the mountains. It is so beautiful following the river winding through the Yakima canyon. We made one stop to look for birds. We saw all of these birds flying around above us catching bugs.We thought they were swifts but after looking in the bird book we found out they were actually nighthawks (#143). We needed to push on and so pulled ourselves away from there and proceeded on to Pendleton. We arrived late, about 10:30pm, but we had a reservation at the Super 8.

Next morning we met Flynn and Anna at their apartment. Now was time to work. Rick, Flynn and I had to drive to Pasco to pick up a U-Haul truck, drive back and then we all loaded it up. Anna had done a great job of packing everything up so all we had to do was bring down everything 3 stories, and fit it all in to the back of the box truck--kind of like Tetris. We ended up sometime in the late afternoon. Rudy had worked up a sweat, it was a nice warm day, so we went back to the motel to clean up and Flynn and Anna went out for a couple of farewell parties. Rudy and I ate at the Prodigal Son Brewery, really good. I had a beer named Sue and Rudy had a beer with coffee. I had mac and cheese and he had fish and chips. After that we took the walk along the river. We saw some house finches, lots of swallow, cedar wax wings and then we spotted a black crowned night heron (#144) in the middle of the river. That was really exciting.

Next morning up early and out for a quick trip to McKay NWR. We had very little time but we saw a kestral, swallows, blue heron, quails and even a ring-necked pheasant (#145). We could have stayed there much longer but we had to get back for the drive back home. We ended up departing about 10am, Rudy driving the truck, me driving our car, Flynn and Anna in their car. We stopped in Prosser at the Subway for a bite and then booked it all the way to Kirkland to their new place. Moved them in, ate at Azteca and then home to crash. I need a weekend to recover from my weekend. We did add three birds which isn't bad for a working weekend. Nice to have Flynn and Anna so close now.

No comments:

Post a Comment